Our first ultrasound was yesterday and it was such an awesome experience! First of all, you are supposed to drink 4 (80z) glasses of water one hour before your appointment. For some reason, your bladder is supposed to be full when they do an ultrasound. So...that was just a feat in itself. I can look at water these days and have to pee, so this was definitely a challenge. I maybe got one bottle of water down before I went and was in absolute pain while sitting in the waiting room. But, it was all worth it once we saw the picture of our baby on the screen.
They first showed me my bladder (which was definitely full). She said I won the full bladder award. Then she showed me my yolk sak (what the heck is that?), then my placenta, then the BABY! (And, yes, there was just one!)
It was perfect looking. I was at 10 weeks on the dot yesterday, so I wasn't expecting to see much more than maybe a blob of something that might have looked like a baby, but this really did. We could immediately tell where the head and the body were. And while she was looking at it and doing some measuring, the baby starting moving and wiggling around a lot! We could see the little arms and legs just waving and kicking...it was so awesome! She said that our baby must have gotten excited about something. The heartbeat was at 168 beats per minute (which according to an old wives tale, means it is a girl). My baby bible says that at this time, the heart beat should be between 110 and 160. The old tale says that if it is below 140, it is a boy...and above 140 is a girl. So, since it is at 168...I am going with girl!
While we were looking at the screen, all of a sudden another screen comes up and it is the 4D look at the baby. I was hoping to get one of these, but I just assumed you either had to pay or be really special or high risk to get one of these. But she pulled it up and got a really good side view of the baby and it really looks like a baby! I just couldn't believe how great the picture was! I immediately saw it and thought to myself...that's our little girl. (Boy, are we going to be surprised when James pops out)!
She told me later that not everyone gets one of those (4D picture), but since I was so skinny (what beer goggles was she looking through?) she was able to get a very clear picture, so she went ahead and did it.
The doctor appointment went fine...they said everything looked good and I can come back in 4 weeks for another checkup. They will not do another ultrasound until week 20, so that won't be until mid to late February...so long to wait! Oh, and I finally found out my blood type is A+, so no RH shots for me or whatever they are called.
But, back to the baby...as you will see in one picture, EJ seems to have a big foot. The nurse said that I better get started knitting some booties because I have some feet to cover. I said that the baby gets it honestly, since my feet are so big! Also, as you will see in the 4D picture, the head is so big compared to the rest of her body. I guess she is just so smart...haha! I can't wait to see her again soon!
I'm trying to get the pictures posted, but I have to find a color scanner first. Once I do, I will post immediately!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am sooooooo excited for you guys! I just caught up on all your postings. I can't wait to check every day to see what's new. Since we are so far away, I can't tell you how important this blog is to me! Good luck on each and every new day along this great journey! I can't wait to see the US!
I'm sure the ultrasound was so exciting! Hope you are feeling better and you had a Merry Christmas! :)
Post a Comment