Wednesday, July 29, 2009

To Feed or Not To Feed


…this is definitely the question of the day, or should I say of the hour…every hour!

After we brought our sweet Ella home from the hospital, we had to figure out how we were going to nourish her, among many other things, but that was the main concern, obviously. I was gung-ho about breastfeeding…took the classes, read anything and everything I could get my hands on about it, and gave myself pep talks about knowing how hard it could be, but that I could get through it. I was adamant about having our bonding time with Ella in the hours after she was born before the whole family came in to see her. I wanted that time to begin breastfeeding because I was told that was when the babies were the most alert and they would need that closeness to mom to feel secure in the bright new world.

Well, we did it then and then we did it every 3 hours that night after we got into the hospital room. Lee was zonked out on the pull-out couch all night and I was still pushing hard on my morphine pump, but I was able to bring myself awake every time the nursery workers brought Ella back to me. I nursed her all by myself during the night with no help. At least I thought I was nursing her. Anyway, the next 2 days came and went with good and bad feedings. After a few lessons from the lactation consultant, we thought we were on our way, but once we got home and she was hungry and I was bleeding, yes…bleeding, I had a huge breakdown and went straight to formula.

I have to say that even though I did not feel great about my decision at the time, I am most certainly glad of my decision now. It is better all around for all of us and everyone is happy…most of the time.

Our little piglet (as we have come to call her) is hungry all the time. We thought we were feeding her too much after we met with our pediatrician when she was 4 days old, so we were trying to hold back. Ella was none too happy about it either…and she let us know it!

After a few days of not being able to console her, we finally found somewhere that we probably weren’t feeding her enough…screw the doctor and what he said…we were going to start feeding our piggy when she asked for it! She turned into a much happier baby and was much more content!

Now, we think she likes it all a little too much and constantly wants to eat. So, every time she wakes up, we ask ourselves, is she really hungry or does she just want to eat because that is what she thinks is supposed to happen? It is all a big guessing game or as Lee put it, a big process of elimination on figuring out what she wants.

One negative to eating to her heart’s desire is all the gas that she has. Our little sassy, gassy girl tooted so loud last night that it woke Maggie up. I still laugh out loud every time I think of that!

So that’s the story on our girl’s eating habits so far. My least favorite part about formula feeding is the cost. I guess I will have to send Maggie out to work her corner and make money to buy formula every week! My favorite part about feeding Ella is that when she is done with a full belly and is content, she falls into a light sleep with a big silly grin on her face. I love seeing that smile whether she knows she is doing it or not!

4 comments:

April S. said...

I won't give you any advice other than this. You do what you think is best for little Ella. Trust your instinct and what you think because what works for one person may/may not work for Ella.

Good luck with it all. Ella is still so young, and she will figure it out soon and all will be well.

Also, let me know what kind of formula you guys are using so I can pass on any coupons that I get in the mail if you want me to.

Heather said...

Hey girl! I've been meaning to catch up with your blog and see how you and Ella are doing. Glad to see you seem to be adjusting well. No matter how much of an angel your little one is, it's such a huge shock! I don't know if you read by blog, but have you checked out Target brand formula? Me and Meredith use it and it is literally 1/3 the cost. All formula is regulated by the FDA so the contents are really the same. They even have gentle, and soy. I just use the regular. But of course, go with your instinct.

I nursed Savannah for three months and I bled too! I don't know how some people do it for so long. I think every mom just has to do what's best for the whole family.

As for the feedings, you'll get it down. I know once I established regular full feedings for S, things started to get more predictable for us. And it seems like FOREVER until they start sleeping through the night but she will :-)

Sorry so long, but it seems like it was just yesterday that S was a newborn...brings back maternity leave memories reading this. She's already 5 months!

Ella is beautiful Jessica!

Heather said...

Oh wow! I don't envy you at all! All the decisions you have to make! I'm sure it will all get better soon. I do like the fact that I will probably be the last one to have children, and everyone I know will be experts by then! I also laughed out loud and really hard about Ella waking Maggie up! Dustin does that with our dogs!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you to everyone for your comments! I really enjoy hearing other people's experiences, so if you have any advice or want to share your story, please do!

April, right now, we are using the Enfamil Lipil because we have so many samples of it sent to us. If you have coupons to share, that would be awesome!

Heather C., I'm sure we will be switching to Wal-mart or Target brand soon after she starts taking in more a day! The doc told us it was all the same and to go with what we felt best with or what was cheaper...ha!