Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Our new friends...Santa & George

Ella had really gotten into Santa Claus this year and is catching on to the whole getting presents thing and being good for Santa, etc. So we pulled out the ever-loving Elf on the Shelf and read the book. Since the book is kind of long with lots of words, I wasn't sure Ella would be into it, but my goodness, she loved it and we read it every single night in the month of December. Not only did she love it, but she understood it and knew not to touch him, that she got to name him, and that he lived with Santa at the North Pole. Smart, smart girl...blows my mind!

So, when I asked her if she wanted to give her Elf a name, I didn't expect for her to give me an answer and I was quickly running through my brain for a good name for the all-spying elf. She surprised me though and promptly responded with, "George". Now, I have no idea where she has heard this name...wait, didn't we watch an episode of Curious George? Yep, that must be it, even if all she would call him was monkey, ooh, ooh, ahh, ahh. Anyway, she named him George and it stuck!

When I went to wake her up on the 2nd day that George was here, I really didn't expect for her to remember him, but her first words were "Where's George?". Note to self: Quit underestimating your child!

Personally, I can't stand the thought of George...an elf that looks at you all day and then moves around at night to go and tell on you and then comes back to look at you some more. I have always hated the thought of someone watching me or looking at me through a window, and as a child, I hated the thought of Santa Claus...the guy that only came to your house once a year and didn't even come into your room, much less a little elf that stays with you all month specifically for the task of watching you. I would have had to see a child therapist if that was around 25 years ago.

So to leave that evil looking, I mean, smiling bright face on a shelf in my children's rooms was haunting to me, but I divulged into the mainstream and did it. Ella loved it...did she behave better than normal? In a word, no, but does she understand that part yet? For my sanity, I'm going to underestimate her again and say, I guess not.

Anyway, I keep digressing... lots of my facebook friends have been posting pictures all month of the things their elves have done in their house...which are all very cute and creative, but I think I will have to go along with what this blogger says,

If you don't want to read all that, she basically says she barely has time to move it from her top shelf to her bottom shelf, much less make it do crazy things. In my opinion, why would you want it to do naughty things? Isn't it supposed to be good?

Well, Lee would get creative in the few minutes of anxiety when we would forget to move it. I would go and get the girls up and he would scramble to do something with it. Here are a few pics (minus one of George hanging from a chandelier one day...my phone lost that picture).

In this one, George decided to pull out our extra high chair and get a drink from one of Virginia's bottles. Ella was super stoked about that one!


She didn't want George to be alone, so she brought her talking Santa Clause (who still sleeps with her at night now) and put him in her chair so they could talk and have breakfast together. I thought it was sweet!


This particular morning, George decided to bake Ella a cake but didn't get very far.


Ella was excited about the cake, but very upset over the mess. She hates messes, so after getting upset that George made a mess and exclaiming, "Get a paper towel, get a paper towel",we had to distract her and clean him up for her to be okay with it.


On Christmas Eve morning, George was in Virginia's stocking hanging on the mantle, waiting to go home with Santa when he came that night. Ella hasn't stopped mentioning him yet.

See you next year George...please don't come back and look at me.

No comments: