I have to say, it is pretty awesome to see your prayers being answered right before your very own eyes!
As many of you know, Ella is a slow progresser when it comes to her gross motor skills. At her 9 month check-up, we were told because she wasn't crawling that she was 'developmentally delayed'. We thought that was a little too early to crown her that title, so we switched doctors. At her 12 month appointment, the new doctor was much more tactful and showed some concern, but she was realistic at the same time.
At 12 months, Ella had not yet put herself into a sitting position, would not crawl, would not pull up, and if you pulled her up yourself and held onto her, she would not even attempt to move her feet into a "step". This doc gave us until she was 14 months old to see if she progressed at all (mainly started pulling up) and if not, she would then start the referral process for us to go to the Kiwanis Center to start therapy.
As there has always been the concern that her hemangiomas are more than that...might be affecting some blood vessels in her head...the doc wanted to throw out there that we might be facing an MRI/Cat Scan at 15 months if things weren't better. This meant, we would have to go to Memphis or Nashville and have her put to sleep. This did not bode well with me!
Anyway, we left feeling kinda of blue, but knew that we didn't want to push Ella to do anything. We didn't want to hinder her either, so we have given her plenty of time to try things out...lots of floor time, lots of encouragement, no shoes...things like that.
Well, within 2 weeks, I went to get her up and she was sitting straight up in her crib!! It was the most awesome sight I had seen (up until that point). Since then, she is such a pro at pushing herself up on her hands and knees and then pushing herself over until she is sitting up. I could watch that over and over!
THEN...at 13 months on the dot, she STARTED CRAWLING!! Days before, I had witnessed her trying it out, but just a few strides here and there. I thought it was a fluke. Then, a few nights ago, she was scooting along on the floor on her botton at top speed, like she always does and then BAM...just flipped over onto her hands and knees and was full-out crawling! My parents and Lee were all there to witness it...so AWESOME!
Then if that wasn't enough, last night I was lying beside her on my side with my knees pulled up a little and she just crawled right over and pushed herself up to where she was STANDING like it was nothing! I got so excited saying "Yay Ella" and she was so proud of herself. She just bounced her knees and shook her booty, because I think she was pretty excited about it too! She did that two more times that night!
God is pretty amazing! I hate that I was starting to have doubts, but I kept praying and actually got to watch them be answered one by one!
I must go now...time to start baby-proofing the house!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is so great Jessica! And I have to say that it seems like you and Lee have had such a great balance of watchfulness and gentle concern. I know you guys are a little relieved. I'm just convinced that some babies are just bound to do things on their own time :-)
Yay Ella! I know y'all are relieved and so proud! She knows she's got to get moving before this new baby gets here and tries to take her toys!
That's awesome that Ella is progressing so well. I know you are relieved to see her milestones getting accomplished one by one. I have learned the hard way, kids will do WHAT they want, WHEN they want. Neither of mine walked until 16 months and Mateo still isn't really talking. It is hard to not be worried, but I know he will get there soon enough.
That's great news Jessica!!
Way to go, Ella! I am so glad prayers have been answered. I can't wait to see her in action.
I can't believe you didn't mention this when we talked yesterday! Such great news! She's a smart girl... I think she knew she was keeping you on your toes! Yay Ella!!!
Post a Comment