Last weekend was long for a lot of people, and unfortunately, the effects from all the rain and storms are still going on for some.
~~~~~~~
In our little part of the world, in what has been deemed a "500 year flood", we received over 15 inches of rain in less than 2 days. Humboldt had been declared an island, because in every direction you could go, there was water building up and blocking the roads. No one could go in...and no one could go out. But...thankfully we survived all of the water and multiple tornado warnings with minimal to no damage.
~~~~~~~
Our basement flooded with about 6 inches of water, so we had to cut the breaker on our air conditioner and electric water heater. Lee put his thinking cap on and got together a bunch of water hoses and siphoned the water out through the hoses. After about 24 hours, we had most of the water out.
Our backyard is just a basin, so even with a light rain, we keep a lot of water back there. With this rain, we had a river...
On Sunday, after the rain had stopped, Lee and I drove around the town to see what all had happened. Here are a few of my pictures to document this historic rain...
Even though we were quite worried about the storms and flooding, we had quite a bit to worry about in our own little family. Ella woke up on Saturday night around 10 pm with a fever of 104...that's right 104. I went in her room to check on her and felt that her skin was absolutely on fire. I took her temp and when I thought it said 104, I jerked on the light to make sure. Unfortunately I was correct.
~~~~~~~
Poor baby had big white whelps all over her face and other parts of her body. I stripped her down, got a cool rag, and turned the fan up. Actually, I called my mom, then did all those things. Thankfully her teachers at school told us that she was the only baby in her class to not have had a viral infection in the past 2 weeks. They warned us that everybody else had gotten a really high fever and then after it broke, they had a terrible cough. Well...guess what? It was Ella's turn!
~~~~~~~
After practically feeding her Tylenol for the next 24 hours (and yes, we found out later that it was one of the ones recalled - so we switched to generic) her fever finally went down and she is much better now!
~~~~~~~
I have to say that I was glad when Monday arrived...the fevers and floods were over. At least for us. For now.
1 comment:
glad to hear you got away with minimal flood damage. the sickies are one of the the hardest parts of motherhood, also glad to hear that your munchkin is doing better. :)
Post a Comment