Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Time-Out Chair Re-do

I have decided that I have got to access my inner crafty self and bring it out to the world. I have so many things that I see and think of and want to do, but it just never happens. Even if I had tons of time to do them all, I'm not sure that I am actually crafty enough to complete them, but I at least want to try. So my goal is to tackle one project every week or two...whether it be re-doing something, making something, organizing something...whatever (haha...yeah right...this will probably fail and die miserably, but I have to start somewhere, right?)

This past weekend, I started out small...

When my little priss started her Terrible Twos (at 18 months old), I decided that time-out was going to be my path to discipline. My grandmother had an old itty-bitty wooden chair in her garage that hadn't seen the light of day in many years...and it was perfect for a little girl to sit on and think about what she has done (ha)!

Here is the before:



Notice lots of (for lack of a better term) goo on the seat and a screw that has been sticking out and smashed down


So, all during the span of 2 little girls taking an afternoon nap (at the same time, I might add...whoo-hoo), I was able to scrape the goo, cut the screwy screw out, fill the hole with wood putty, sand the entire chair down, spray paint the chair black and then put different sized white polka dots all over it.

Here is the finished product...



I hid the chair overnight so it could dry before Ella saw it and the next day, I bet she sat in it for over 5 minutes just admiring her "time-out" chair. I told her that even though she liked her new polka-dot chair that she didn't need to be bad just to get to sit in it. And she responds with, "Ella not nice". Ha...I think she understood what I meant.

Anyway, I was very proud of myself for accomplishing something (even if it was small) and for going into the basement to find all of the tools I needed by myself and doing it all without Lee's help. And as an added bonus, I put back all of the things I used right after I was finished...Lee Williams...and not a month or 2 later like someone I know!

Next weekend's project...re-organize my bathroom closets. It is getting ridiculous!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

This is so cute! I love it! I hope it doesn't backfire on you if it makes Ella want to sit in time out, but at least she'll look cute doing it!

Shannon said...

I love it! I would go to time-out just to get to sit on that pretty chair!